Due to Covid-19: We will accept online courses for all prerequisites taken in Spring, Summer, Fall of 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021and Fall 2021 including those with an online lab component from an accredited institution, to be vetted by Enrollment Services.
The Program has established five prerequisite courses that MUST be completed prior to application to the Program. The five prerequisite courses are listed below. The prerequisite courses are designed to assure that students who are accepted into the Program have the necessary skills, concepts, and/or information to pass the Registered Nursing courses and achieve academic success in the Program
1. ANATOMY*: One four or five (semester) credit unit college human anatomy course with laboratory (Biology 120). Must be taken for a letter grade.
2. PHYSIOLOGY*: One four or five (semester) credit unit college human physiology course (Biology 224), with laboratory. Must be taken for a letter grade.
3. MICROBIOLOGY*: One four or five (semester) credit unit college microbiology course (Biology 240), with laboratory. Must be taken for a letter grade.
4. ENGLISH: English 150. Effective fall 2009. Must be taken for a letter grade.
5. CHEMISTRY: One four or five (semester) unit college credit course in chemistry (Chem 110, or Chem 114 or 115).
Co-requisite Courses Required for RN Licensure
- COMMUNICATION: 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, or 105
- PSYCHOLOGY: 110 and 112, or 114
- 3 units from ANTHROPOLOGY 102, 103, 208, or SOCIOLOGY 110, 140
Co-requisite Courses Required for General Education Degree
(Waived for students with a Bachelor's degree from regionally accredited institutions)
- American Institutions: 3 Units
- Humanities: 3 Units
- Physical Education: 1 Units
- Cross-Cultural Studies: 3 Units
- Communication and Analytical Thinking: 3 Units
Students are strongly encouraged to take the co-requisite courses prior to entering the program. Clinical rotations are on days and evenings leaving little time to enroll in required co-requisite courses.
Students must successfully complete all prerequisite courses. This means the student must receive a letter grade of “C” or higher in all prerequisite courses for entry into the Program. Grades of “C minus,” “Credit/no credit,” or “pass/no pass” grades are not accepted. All Nursing courses required for licensure which have been completed prior to admission must also be successfully completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
Courses Completed at Other Institutions
It is not necessary to take all the prerequisites at the College of Marin. If you took some or all of the prerequisite courses at another college and you are considering transferring these courses to Marin, please follow Procedures for Substitution of Courses for the College of Marin Registered Nursing program below.
Prerequisite courses taken at institutions other than the College of Marin must be evaluated prior to applying to the Nursing Program.
- U.S. Transcripts (from educational institutions other than COM)
- Download and complete the Petition for Course Substitution form here
- Mail completed form with official transcripts to College of Marin - Enrollment Services (Attn: RN Application, 835 College Ave, Kentfield, CA 94904)
- Foreign Colleges Transcripts
- Transcripts from foreign colleges and universities will be accepted only when evaluated by UC, CSU, or an evaluating service recognized by College of Marin.
Credit will be granted when the academic level of the coursework is deemed to be comparable to that of classes taught in fully accredited U.S. colleges and universities.