This program combines the technical knowledge and skills required to function successfully as a chairside registered dental assistant with the essential aspects of office procedures. The expanded functions that are required for state licensure are taught to clinical proficiency. Please note: the Dental Board of California requires either a social security number or a federal employee identification number on the 126 Dental Assisting: Registered marin.edu application for state licensure as a Registered Dental Assistant. Please visit the Dental Board of California’s website for all requirements for the RDA application at www.dbc.ca.gov.
College of Marin’s Registered Dental Assisting Program will prepare you for work as a Certified and Registered Dental Assistant. The Registered Dental Assistant is a licensed member of the dental team in today's dental office or clinic. Completion of the courses and the clinical training qualifies students for immediate employment. Students who gradate from the program are eligible for their state radiation safety, infection control, coronal polishing, and pit and fissure sealant certifications and are eligible to apply for the state registered dental assisting (RDA) and the national certified dental assisting (CDA) examinations.
Duties of the R.D.A
- Assisting the dentist in chairside procedures, which is called four-handed dentistry.
- Performing functions in the patient's mouth as delegated by the general dentist or dental specialist such as:
- Polishing teeth
- Application of topical fluoride
- Fabrication and placement of temporary crowns or bridges
- Placement of orthodontic separators
- Placement and removal of temporary restorations
- Producing x-rays of the teeth
- Maintaining accurate office records
- Performing laboratory procedures
- Pit and fissure sealant